Monday, March 21, 2011

32 days to go; 650 (36Q/44V) for 5th practice CAT

Progress

Got most of what I wanted to do this weekend done.

Since the last post I have:

- Re-taken Class 3 (Critical Reasoning) using On Demand + re-attempted wrong/guessed questions from the first time around. 2 hours.
- Re-taken Class 4 (Algebra) using On Demand + re-attempted wrong/guessed questions from the first time around. 3 hours.
- Progressed with Class 14 (Advanced Word Problems / Quant Review). 0.5 hours.

Maybe it is because I've done these questions before, but in both instances I managed to correctly answer most questions that I previously got wrong. Maybe I'm just improving.

5th practice CAT

After a full day of study, I decided to do a Practice GMAT CAT. A bit dubious after my score of Q51 from last time (using "GMAT Life", a Veritas-badged CAT), this time I tackled the 800score CAT which is apparently notorious for its difficult quant questions.

This time I didn't bother with the essays (mainly because it was late already).

I was brought back to reality - I scored 36Q (48th percentile), down from the lofty 98th percentile that I scored in the quant section in GMAT Life. I basically ran out of time with about 7 questions to go and had to make wild guesses on those last few questions.

On the other hand, I managed to score a 44V (97th percentile), up from the 81st percentile that I scored in the verbal section in GMAT Life. I also finished with about 30 minutes to spare (in a 75 minute section). So basically I'm now dubious about 800score's verbal section.

If I somehow manage to combine my best ever performance in the quant section (51Q) and verbal section (44V), I would score around the 770 mark, but my see-saw lack of consistency is instead keeping me between the mid-600s to 700. Given that my 51Q was a fluke (the CAT was too easy), and my 44V was also probably a fluke (I finished with 30 minutes to spare), I will have to work hard even to crack 700.

I have to re-double my efforts and make sure I'm not slipping in either section. I think it's easier for me to slip in quant since that's my weak area, so I will make it my focus from now.

Running tally to date:

  • 127.5 hours of prep work (including going through materials, doing practice questions, attending class, and checking answers and mistakes; does NOT include taking practice CAT exams) since 3 January 2011.
  • 5 CAT exams.
    • 620 (40Q/35V), 05.01.11 [GMATSim1]
    • 610 (33Q/41V), 12.01.11 [800Score1]
    • 660 (42Q/40V), 29.01.11 [GMATPrep1]
    • 700 (51Q/37V), 26.02.11 [GMATLife1]
    • 650 (36Q/44V), 20.03.11 [800Score2].

1 comment:

  1. Quant is A LOT easier to improve upon. So just stick to the formulae/concepts and you will do fine! Morevoer, a verbal score of 40+ will already be a ticket to 700,a 40 on the Quant would suffice! :)
    I wish I was the one struggling with Quant instead of VErbal. VErbal is REALLY hard to crack.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete