Monday, January 10, 2011

Introduction

For a couple of years now, I've been wanting to sit the GMAT exam as part of my medium term plan to transition out of my current job. Unfortunately, I have never got around to preparing for the exam. Now, I'm determined to make it work. In the past year, three people that I know left their jobs and each started at prestigious Ivy League business schools in the US. Their success has been an encouraging factor, and, although I don't expect to achieve the same sky high GMAT scores as they each did, I'm confident that I can at least give it a decent stab.

I have started this page for the following reasons:

  • I want a record of what I have done, primarily for tracking purposes. I could log it all in a journal but then again I could lose the journal. I want to hold myself accountable for what I've done and for what I say I will do.
  • I read here that it is a good strategy to "put it out there", tell people, and make it easy for other sticky beaks to follow your progress. It worked very well for a friend of mine who wanted to stick with a training regime and I hope that I will have similar results.
  • In proscratinating and Googling various things about the GMAT exam and preparation courses, I couldn't find many unbiased sources of information. There are a lot of forums out there but they are full of, for lack of better phrases, fanboys and seeds (on the one hand) and haters and counterseeds (on the other hand). People seem to either love or hate the two main GMAT preparation companies out there, Veritas Prep or Manhattan GMAT, and there's a bunch of malicious rumours and gossip that goes back and forth. Hopefully my account will serve as both informative and unbiased.
  • Sometimes I find stuff (resources or what not) that I want to have a look at later and I am finding that I am losing the links because I am doing some of the preparation work at home and some at the office. I intend to throw stuff on here to serve the above two purposes, but also so that I can come back here to one place and click through.

In the next post, I'll outline why I chose the preparation course that I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment