Friday, January 14, 2011

Veritas Prep Class 2; Second practice CAT results

Veritas Prep Class 2

Earlier tonight, I attended Class 2: Arithmetic. I noticed that in the 3 hour class, we only got up to the start of the bulk of the problem questions. The On Demand video covered a lot (but not all) of the problem questions.

Again, I wasn't blown away but it was a useful lesson. I think I should get more sleep before the day of the relevant class and/or smash a Red Bull before class, because I am finding it difficult to stay awake.

Reminder to self: Always do the On Demand class as well as the real class in case one covers more than the other.

One of the benefits of Veritas Prep is that you can retake the course (or take another course of equal or lesser value) within 6 months of starting for any reason whatsoever.

Practice CAT results

I took another practice CAT tonight, this time using the 800score test.

I got 610 (after inputting my raw results into the 800score website), so there has been no appreciable change to my previous score from last week (620).

However, interestingly, my Quant went crashing down from 40 to 33 (39th percentile) and my Verbal went all the way up from 35 to 41 (93rd percentile).

Seems like I have one on, one off. If I could only combine them into one day's performance!

In Quant, I only got 5 out of the first 10 questions right - so I got off to a very bad start. I also noticed that I had an input error (right answer written down; wrong answer clicked). I must admit that I felt that the maths was easier on this CAT, but obviously that was because I didn't grasp the concepts being tested. I also nearly ran out of time and spent nearly 7 MINUTES on one question - I didn't even realise I spent that long until I reviewed the results.

In Verbal, I actually read the questions properly this time (last time I skimmed), and I finished with about 20 minutes to go. I am pretty happy with the Verbal since I have not done any more classes or practice or reading of any kind in Verbal since my first attempt.

Unfortunately, I accidentally moved on to the Verbal without printing out or saving my Quant results (and, critically, the explanations of the errors that I made on the Quant questions). Oh well, chalk it up to experience!

Lessons learned / to do:

  • Go through maths fundamentals again - this time, use MGMAT Foundations. Clearly something is going wrong now. Perhaps 800score's tests are harder in Quant but they can't be that much harder. 
  • After 4 minutes, cut the losses and move on.
  • Do not start the practice CAT after an exhausting 3 hours of class, which came after an exhausting day at work. If I have to start it after work, do not start at midnight. 

Running tally to date:

  • 25 hours of prep work (including going through materials, doing practice questions, attending class, and checking answers and mistakes; does NOT include taking practice CAT exams) since 3 January 2011.
  • 2 CAT exams:
    • 620/40Q/35V, 05.01.11 [GMATSim1]
    • 610/33Q/41V, 12.01.11 [800Score1].

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your GMAT. I'm going to be following your prep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. man this looks hardcore. goodluck with it man! looks like you are really determined.

    any idea what schools you want to go to and why? maybe a blog post in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to more posts from you. so,how's the prep coming along and when is ur test date?
    http://mygmatdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following my posts.

    I have not yet gone through the process of researching schools but will definitely download my thoughts here in due course. If I could choose any school in the world, based on my impressions, I would select either INSEAD (everything I hear about this place is great; 1 year course so opportunity cost is low; true international perspective as you study in 2 countries with a very diverse cohort; my impression is that it's the best B-school outside of the US) or a top tier school in the US.

    I would not discount studying locally either, in which case I would go to either AGSM or Melbourne Business School. One issue is going to be how I fund my studies, and studying locally would probably help minimise the costs.

    As for how the prep is coming along, I've just put up another post. I think it's going alright but I think the challenge is going to trying to maintain preparation consistency throughout the week while I work.

    As for test date, I probably won't book it until I start seeing high 600s/low 700s in practice CATs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiii there,
    thanks for ur reply to my comments..I wish I could wait to book the test date until I start to score in my target range!!! The GMAT slots in my city get filled super-fast :( and I am lucky to find a slot at 11 AM only because I booked it early. However,I wil consider rescheduling,if need be.


    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete