Thursday, January 27, 2011

Veritas Prep Class 5 (Sentence Correction 1); MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math

Veritas Prep Class 5 (Sentence Correction 1)

Being a native speaker, it is actual quite foreign to "learn" about adverbs, gerunds, idioms and modifiers. I haven't received much formal instruction in English grammar (grammar is not really taught in school, not even in "English"), and so far I've been relying on how things sound in determining how to answer sentence correction questions.

I think that it'll be a challenge to go through the homework and I am really not keen on learning the formal rules of written English, especially as there are subtle differences between English English, American English and Australian English. I'll just have to focus on GMAT English (whatever that is).

I haven't done the class using On Demand, and I haven't done the homework - this will be my weekend homework.

MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math

I scored pretty poorly in my second practice CAT and said here that I'd go through the Manhattan GMAT Foundations of GMAT Math book.

I spent about 5 hours going through it today, and so far I'm up to Chapter 6 (Factions Strategy). Only a few chapters left.

So far, the concepts covered have been SUPER basic, but I guess that is the point of the book. It is a good refresher for those, like me, who are particularly rusty. Too bad MGMAT doesn't run courses in my city!!

Plan over coming days, hopefully by Monday 31 January

  • Veritas Prep Class 6 (Geometry) is tomorrow.
  • Take third practice CAT already!! I said last Sunday that I'd do it but have procrastinated.
  • Veritas Prep Class 5 and 6 On Demand and homework.
  • Finish going through MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math.

Running tally to date:

  • 45 hours of prep work (including going through materials, doing practice questions, attending class, and checking answers and mistakes; does NOT include taking practice CAT exams) since 3 January 2011.
  • 2 CAT exams.
    • 620/40Q/35V, 05.01.11 [GMATSim1]
    • 610/33Q/41V, 12.01.11 [800Score1].

6 comments:

  1. Good to know that you are using the Foundations of GMAT book by MGMAT. I too found it very very basic but it was a quick refresher. I found all the MGMAT books,except the RC, extrememly useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if I may ask - are you using the MGMAT books for your review?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got all of the MGMAT books at my disposal (a friend has them and he never did the course). However, because I've also got the whole Veritas collection, I'm going to have to be selective in which MGMAT ones I use.

    I'm also waiting for the MGMAT companion to the OG, which apparently goes through all of the quant answers in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    Like you say,in your case, it is better to use only the best MGMAT books since you have the Veritas material. I think their NP,WT and SC guides are the best. But, I loved all their Quant guides on a first look,although I have done only 2 upto this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff, thanks for the tips. I've heard a lot about sentence correction, and I need work on my number properties, so I'll have a look at them at some point.

    ReplyDelete